Traditional polish meal, meat and rice stuffed cabbage rolls (polish gouwombkee – gołąbki). Mine of course without meat, served with traditional and very easy to make yellow tomato sauce. Very aromatic, natural taste. My family loves this satiating meal.
- 500g short grain rice
- 300g dry brown lentil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 10g extra virgin coconut oil
- 250g onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 250g champignons (2-3 mm slices + a hanful of dried wild mushrooms)
- 2 tsp iodin free salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp lovage
- 2 tsp marjoram
- 2 tsp herbal pepper (mustard, coriander, caraway, chilli pepper, garlic, fenugreek, marjoram)
- 1 spring cabbage (about 15 leaves big and small)
- Put lentil in a bowl and cover with water. Soak at least 12 hours. When sprouts appear, drain and cook in a filtered water with addition of 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar.
- Cook rice in a filtered water, drain and set aside.
- In small bowl pour dried mushrooms with water and let sit for a while.
- Preheat a frying pan with addition of cocout oil, add diced onion and minced garlic and fry for a while, next add sliced champignons and mushrooms.
- In a big pot with lid bring filtered water to boil. Add 2 bay leaves and 5 whole allspice and put your cabbage in. Cook for about 30 minutes until cabbage leaves get tender and are able to be taken off.
- In a big bowl combine cooked lentils, cooked rice, fried onions with garlic and champignons and spices.
- To take the leaves off, flip your cabbage upside down and make few vertical cuts with sharp knife around the core and in the direction of the center of the cabbage. Remove the central stalks of the leaves. Very small leaves that aren’t suitable to wrap, chop and add to the filling.
- Place a drained and cooled cabbage leave on a clean work space and put 2-3 tablespoons of the obtained stuffing on and roll up.
- Steam for about half an hour. Serve with yellow tomato juice (juice 5 tomatoes in a slow juicer. Add some salt and ground black pepper to taste).
Enjoy your meal!
Do you like the post?
Like and follow my facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/vitaminove/). First click Like! and then set “display first” in follow options.
Also check out my Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/vitaminove_com/)
Leave a comment!
Please share with the button below!