Today I would like to present you my favourite Christmas cake made of poppy seed and sweet topping of dates with homemade candied orange peel.
- 300g raw poppy seed (soaked overnight and ground)
- 3 middle apples (coarsly grated)
- 200g natural honey *
- homemade orange peel of 5 oranges (I used BIO) divided on two parts -2 Tbsp for topping and the rest to the poppy seed cake.
- juice of half lemon
- 400g dried fruit & nuts (raisins, apricots, dates, figs, walnuts, almonds, plums)
- 200g millet flakes
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp rum
- 1 tsp natural almond flavouring
- 1/2 tin full fat coconut milk (BIO)
- 60g potato starch
- 150g dried dates
- 2 Tbsp orange peel
- 60g plant milk (OAT)
*You may use other healthy natural sweetener – maple , date or coconut flower syrup.
- Prepare a baking tray (23cmx23cm). Line it with a baking paper and preheat oven to 160°C with circular and double heater mode.
- Crush nuts and chop dried fruits into small parts.
- Combine all ingredients together in a lage bowl leaving 2 Tbsp candied orange peel for topping .
- Pour mixture into prepared baking dish and lightly flatten with silicone spatula.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes and let cool completely.
- Prepare topping, adding dates, orange peel and OAT milk and blending untill smooth.
- Smooth over top of cake and serve.
- Store in refrigerator.